Featured

Gallego Defends Bad Bunny Super Bowl Performance Amid Backlash

Senator Ruben Gallego is standing by his support for Bad Bunny's upcoming Super Bowl halftime performance, responding to critics who questioned the Puerto Rican artist's selection.

The announcement was made during the previous "Sunday Night Football" game that the three-time Grammy Award winner will headline Super Bowl LX on February 8, 2026, in Santa Clara, California.

Ruben Gallego took to social media to express enthusiasm for the announcement, admitting that it "will be the most watched halftime show ever!!!" 

Rising Criticism

The post drew immediate criticism from some social media users who pointed to Bad Bunny's political stances and recent comments about the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). 

Critics noted the artist is a vocal Trump critic, has expressed concerns about ICE operations, and performs primarily in Spanish. They also referenced his recent decision not to book U.S. tour dates due to fears his fans could be detained by immigration agents.

"But there was the issue of — like, f---ing ICE could be outside [my concert]. And it's something that we were talking about and very concerned about," Bad Bunny said earlier this month.

In his NFL statement about the Super Bowl performance, the artist emphasized the cultural significance of the moment. 

"What I'm feeling goes beyond myself. It's for those who came before me and ran countless yards so I could come in and score a touchdown… this is for my people, my culture, and our history," Bad Bunny expressed.

Senator Gallego dismissed the criticism directed at him, dismissing "MAGA Karens" who are "trying to censor popular artists."

Bad Bunny has emerged as one of the world's most popular recording artists since breaking into the mainstream in 2016, utilizing his growing platform to address political and social issues affecting the Latino community.

Based on the early reactions to the announcement, the halftime show at Super Bowl LX could prove to be one of the most controversial performances in the event's history.

Ericka Piñon

Ericka Piñon is a state and federal politics reporter for Cactus Politics and a Journalism and Mass Communication student at Arizona State University. With a focus in public relations, she aims to deliver balanced coverage grounded in solid sourcing.

Recent Posts

State Department Announces Foreign Relations of the United States Publication Digitization

The Department of State (DoS) announced this week the release of Foreign Relations of the…

1 day ago

Secretary Rubio Announces Visa Restrictions on Chilean Officials

Secretary of State Marco Rubio and the U.S. Department of State (DoS) announced this week…

1 day ago

Joseph Chaplik Resigns to Focus on Congressional Race

Arizona state Representative Joseph Chaplik (R-AZ) is leaving his seat in the state legislature to…

1 day ago

ICE at the Ballot Box? Kris Mayes Says It's 'Voter Intimidation'

Arizona Republicans are pushing a bill that would station federal immigration agents at polling locations…

1 day ago

Secretary Marco Rubio Speaks at Board of Peace Event in Washington, D.C.

In a speech given at the Board of Peace Event in the Donald J. Trump…

1 day ago

SNAKEBITE— 2.20.26— Crane Applauds Vets' Gun Rights Restoration— Hoffman on Kirk vs Jackson Tributes— Iran, Stem Cell, Nicotine, Landau, Edge AI, Much More...

Crane Applauds Vets' Gun Rights Restoration Representative Eli Crane (R-AZ) applauded the Trump Administration's recent…

1 day ago